Sunday 12 June 2011

BEN NEVIS!!!

That totally deserves capitals!

So, we did it - A, me, my Mum, and A's Nonno set off yesterday morning at 8am from Inverness, and started the climb at 10am. We were passed by loads of army guys running (yes - running!) the mountain, but there were also lots of other walkers.
We couldn't have been luckier with the weather: very little wind; cloud above the summit all day; and although thundery showers were forecast, only a few spots of rain. There was snow in the air at the summit, but just a few little flakes, and we didn't care, in fact it was quite pleasant :-)

A says it is the hardest thing she has ever done, but she coped with the sore feet and aching legs and kept on going. I am immensely proud of her.
I found it really hard going, as I expected, but it was a great experience. I definitely want to do it again (A doesn't!).
The grandparents were amazing - Nonno just sped off ahead of us all, I don't think he would have stopped for breaks at all if we hadn't made him! My Mum struggled a bit, particularly on the way down (which is murder on the knees), but what an achievement!

The best thing for me was the absolute beauty surrounding us (no, I don't mean the running guys, although they looked pretty good too). I took about 70 photos, and it was very difficult to decide which ones to put on here, but I didn't want to bore you too much! So here are 10 of them.



Water break






A resting in a patch of snow



A at the summit!





6 comments:

Lynn said...

Great achievment and great pictures! Especially A *resting*in the snow :-))) Well done xxx

Anonymous said...

Ooh... what BEAUTIFUL photos. There's something about a mountain view that makes my heart ache, in a good way. (Many things do that!) I just love how as far as you can see are blue mountains, going on and on...

I'm glad you had a great time! :)

Unknown said...

Hi K! It sounds like a really fun time you had. Kind of exercise and vacation all in one. Very pretty pictures.

Obviously, your daughter and the grandparents are pretty tough people. Every fall, we go to this super big hill with a church on top and follow the nature trail, which is up and down the steep hill. I can't tell you how achy I am after going up and down hills for a couple of hours.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with thinking the young military guys who are in good shape enhanced the scene.

:-) Marion

Catherine said...

Sounds like you had a fantastic time and some really gorgeous photos there! Well done to all of you for doing that! Only Mountain I've done is Snowdon and I nearly collapsed when i got to the top! That was some years ago...not sure I'd cope at all now! x

K said...

Hi all :-)

The views were truly spectacular, made me feel so lucky to live in this part of the world.

My legs are still really aching though!

x

Lucy said...

Fabulous, Miss K!
Oh you're so right, it's the downhill knee! :)