Monday 3 October 2011

Back on the (health) wagon

Right.
I was lying on the sofa yesterday feeling a bit like a whale, and decided "enough of this nonsense". I haven't actually put on any weight, but my body just feels different: lazy and sluggish. I've got into that cycle of eating junk - craving junk - eating more junk. Its ridiculous because I know a fair bit about nutrition and health, I have no excuses.

So - a new start!
I have been meal planning :-) I had intended to start doing this a while back and never got around to it. The hours of my new job have forced the issue somewhat - getting home at 6.30pm means I don't have a lot of time to cook, so I need to prepare meals in advance. Planning the week's dinners on a Sunday, including when to cook them, makes it all feel much more organised and less stressful. I'm hoping it will work out more economical too as I'll just do one shop for the week.
I made a huge pan of lentil hotpot today - one evening meal for both of us (with rice), plus 3 lunches for me, and possibly a couple of portions for the freezer. I'm also going to make a big veggie lasagne for later in the week, most of which I can freeze in portions. There's one night a week when A goes out to Guides at 7pm, so she'll have to do her own dinner, it will be good to have some nutritious meals in the freezer that she can just bung in the oven. She is capable of cooking herself something reasonable, but what with homework and her social life, she might not manage it every week!

I've also been looking for local fitness classes, as getting to the gym and classes I used to do just doesn't work with my new schedule. So far I've found a kettlercise class one morning a week (I'm not entirely sure what kettlercise is - apparently it doesn't involve making cups of tea, which is a shame). And I'm thinking about joining the local sports club. I always thought it was too expensive, but it probably works out just as much to do what I was previously doing - travelling to a 'pay as you use' gym. It just felt cheaper as it was a little at a time.

The new job is going very well, I think I'm going to like being a postie :-)
There are two parts to the job - delivering parcels, then collection from the post boxes. The guys have all been very helpful (I am the only girl postie) although I haven't met that many of them as most have finished by the time I start. I have the driving assessment tomorrow, which I'm slightly nervous about as I'm not used to driving a van, but hopefully I'll do ok.

In other news - I made some chutney!!

It needs to mature for about a month, so I've no idea if its any good - I'll let you know.

6 comments:

Pip said...

i know the feeling about wanting to be more organised with meals. i am trying my best to have something healthy in the freezer that we can just pull out and cook!
I am also using the slow cooker a lot! I think that's an Autumn thing though. it always makes an appearance from the cupboard in Autumn and winter!
Chutney looks LOVELY!!!

K said...

Hi Pip :-)

Its the first batch of chutney I've ever made - so lets hope it tastes lovely too!! I think its going to be quite garlicy, which could be nice, if you like garlic!

Kx

Unknown said...

Hi K! It sounds like you're doing well with your new adjustments--much better than I would do!

:-) Marion

K said...

Well, the first week has gone ok Marion :-) Lets hope I can keep it up and stay in 'organised woman' mode!!
Kx

Bella said...

That's a good plan! I hope you do well!

K said...

Thanks Bella :-)