Saturday 9 October 2010

Crafty devils

We had a crafty day yesterday, hence my living room looked like this:

Such a lovely way to spend a day, music pumping, scissors snipping, glue sticking, totally chillful. And we got most of our Christmas cards made.



Finally decided on our Christmas project, that is - a little handmade gift we make and send to friends and family every year. Having made quite a few pots of jam I've got local people sorted, but I don't fancy packing up and sending heavy glass jars out to people all round the country. Racked our brains a bit as we've been doing this for years now and are running low on ideas for 'light' items to send out with cards, but the other day I came across the idea of these (tissue paper) stained glass effect chinese lanterns:

I think they look a bit Christmassy, and are very different to what we've done other years.

I know its very early to be thinking about Christmas, but I find if I don't start getting organised in October time runs away and suddenly - oh, I've got a week to get everything done!!

I'm not religious at all, but I do really like winter. I like the dark nights drawing in, cosy evenings in, wrapping up in layers of jumpers and coats, wearing of big boots. Not so much the wind and rain, but I do like frost and snow. So I suppose its more of a winter festival than a religious one for us, but its still a good excuse to take the time to appreciate loved ones and let them know you care.

Need to mention this lovely bag I bought from Cheery Mishmash, its gorgeous! There are lots of other HE related designs for bags and T-shirts, and other non-HE related items too - I got a really cute baby vest for my cousin's little girl from them. Well worth a look!

3 comments:

Elizabeth (My Reading World) said...

We made Maple tree leaf shaped paper tissue 'stained glass' shapes. We laminated them so they'll be good for next autumn. Took ages to cut out a template-never mind the final pieces! But they look great!

cheerymishmash said...

The lantern is gorgeous :)
Thanks for the mention, glad you like your bag :) - the 'made to order' Home Ed is actually on hold at the moment, but the ready made stuff is still on sale xx

K said...

Thanks :-)
Its years since I made stained glass tissue paper decorations, they are very fiddly, but a craft knife certainly makes things easier!!
Laminating sounds like a good idea.
xx